homeaboutCVlinks

Tuesday 3 July 2012
Style Stalking: The High School Fashion Scene @ 22:18

There actually is one particular thing that makes high school fun to attend five days a week, for six hours a day.  Needless to say, it really isn't the whole "learning the curriculum" kind of thing.  It's actually the high school fashion scene.  In my opinion, girls in this generation really know how to dress.  The designers are the ones creating an art, but for these girls, they put together ensembles as a way of self-expression.  Contrary to a curriculum like at school, these girls' styles have no limitations.  They dress for maximum effect, carrying out their own style like they rule the school.  Here are two girls in high school whose creative and perfectly-put-together styles I absolutely adore.  I introduce to you...Candice and Sharon.

Candice Y. shows off her summery style with cute Roxy shorts, brown booties, a simple white top  and stylish accessories to match. 

Sharon K. brightens everyone's day with a tie-dye tank, denim sorts, dainty accessories and an artistic henna design on her hand.


E: How would you guys describe your style?
C: Can I actually describe how I get dressed in the morning? It takes me a good hour everyday. I spend an hour to choose my clothes and like 5 minutes to eat breakfast and then I go to school...and I'll probably change like three times during the day.
E: Wow, that's impressive! And how about Sharon? How would you describe your style?
S: Okay, I like to wear stuff that's comfortable and loose. I hate tight clothing, 'cause I don't know but it's... it's gross. It's tight and I can't breathe. If I go to a store, I wouldn't buy the size that fits me, but a size up.
C: I think Sharon is Urban...Urban Hip.
E: Who are your style role models or inspirations?
S: Candice!
C: I steal from everyone, like from my sister Michelle sometimes if I don't get stains on it.
E: What are your opinions of the current high school fashion scene?
S: Crop tops! People are going crazy about crop tops!  It's the leggings and the crop tops combination.
C: Oh no, crop tops are so last year. That was winter. Now it's like hot shorts where it's like cut along the butt cheek line, ombre shorts and asymmetrical skirts where it's like short in the front and long in the back. Uhh, I don't know how I feel about that. I think this trend won't last very long; it's tacky and distasteful.  Earring cuffs are going to be in this summer though! So like fake cartilage with dangling things hanging from them.
S: Yea, there's definitely people wearing the short shorts and then they have huge pockets like hanging out. What is with that? And then you have your cellphone in your pockets and it's just hanging out of your shorts.
E: So Candice, I see that you tend to incorporate trends into your artsy style and you've got this mix going on. Sharon, I love seeing how you dress trends from the past.  Sometimes you're boho chic, sometimes cable-knit vintage, and sometimes, like today, tie-dye '70s. Are there any trends you two are liking a lot right now?
C: Tangerine. Tangerine is a good colour. And pastels, I like pastels but I don't own any pastels but maybe soon.
S: I'll say, it doesn't matter what I'm wearing, I always have to wear earrings. And I always try to do like a whole outfit thing, because I have so many piercings that I can try to match them.
E: You guys do a lot of vintage and thrift store shopping.  Where do you guys go and what are some tips?
C: The key is to not go to the mainstream thrift stores where people think they can get a lot of good clothing.
S: It's really just the same price as the regular clothing.  It's not always even good quality, like there are stains and stuff and it's gross.They still make it 20 bucks or something.
C: The Salvation Army but it's getting kinda sketch now. BCSPCA is good though.
E: And that wraps it up for today. Thanks so much for letting me get to know your different styles and sharing your tips!



Labels: